Top Tips to Organize Anything
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you have imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.”
– Henry David Thoreau –
- When in doubt about what to keep and what to let go, keep this concept in mind: Everything in your home should be functional,beautiful, or both.
- Set a date and tell others that you are GETTING ORGANIZED. This helps overcome procrastination and is a good motivation tool.
- Remember SPACE – Sort, Purge, Assign a home, Container-ize,Evaluate
- Set up a box for items that “Go Elsewhere” and remain in the target space. Running from room to room will slow down or stop the progress.
- Focus on accessibility. Storage is easy; finding what you need later is the challenge.
- Keep the project SMALL. Plan for and work on a limited area so you see success. You won’t get overwhelmed and fear the job is too big to manage.
- Sort out and store like items together. This makes it simple to find things when you need them since they are always in one area and easier to remember.
- Label it if you don’t use it often, or if you don’t want the wrong things stored there.
- Remember with incoming paper the only options are FAT – File,Act, Toss.
- Multi-tasking is really Switch-tasking, and not usually the most efficient or effective way to work.
- Limit distractions – it can take up to 23 minutes to fully re-focus on your project.
- Make a list of 3 things to accomplish the next day at the end of each day. Do one before launching email in the morning.
- Be conscious of the difference between Perfection and Excellenceto limit procrastination.
- Admire your work and congratulate yourself for each organizing success!